History

The origin of St. Augustine’s Forane Church, Pravithanam, dates back to 1660 when it functioned as a filial church (kurishupally) of Bharananganam Church. Later, in 1714, it became an independent parish. After six decades, in 1774, the old thatched church was reconstructed under the leadership of the then vicar, Rev. Fr. Mulayanickal Mathan Kathanar.

For over a century, this church served as a center of spiritual unity for Pravithanam. In 1880, Rev. Fr. Ariparambil Geevarghese led another renovation of the church. The Madbaha (sanctuary), a masterpiece of traditional Christian architecture, was the highlight of this transformation.

A century later, when the church was rebuilt again, the historic Madbaha was carefully preserved. The foundation stone for the present church was laid on March 21, 1991. Under the leadership of Rev. Fr. Mathew Shauriyankuzhiyil. The newly renovated church was consecrated on September 17, 1994, by Mar Joseph Pallikaparampil.

Several churches that later became independent parishes, such as Anthinad, Kurumannu, Melukavu, Ullanad, Kayyoor, and Vezhanganam, were once filial churches of Pravithanam.